Welcome back

Welcome back.


Just before the end of 1st term, the department had its first MTech application screening. The applicants included Mr Dumisani Xesha, Mr Rhini Mthetho, and Mrs Cheryl Gordon. Others included Mr Saphetha Gwija, Ms Leah Matela and Mr Fattinald Rangongo. Acting HoD, Mr Petrus Venter chaired. In attendance were members of the research committee - Mr Chris Cupido, Chux Gervase Iwu and Mr Terence Hermanus. Prof Andre Slabbert, Dean of Research, was also present. First picture above shows Mr Rangongo making his defence while Picture 2 shows Mr Venter getting some clarity from Mr Rangongo. Prof Slabbert hailed the MTech defence as a worthwhile exercise that other departments should copy because it gives the prospective masters student a better chance of fine tuning his or her approach to the postgraduate study.

Comments

  1. This by far was my biggest challenge as a student of this department. I will never forget the day I walked into a foom filled with research experts. My research capabilities were seriously questioned. The pressure was on as nature prevails, but damn it felt so good to handle it. A proud moment for me most definately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the day were my life was questioned as the panel posed questions about my research, and I started shacking as if I didn’t know what I wrote as my proposal. Then I decided to come back on earth to defend myself, as my life was on the life. I started gain my confidence back then the panel was not sure about what I wrote but moved about what I said, then the decision was made on the spot, the Pro Slabbert voluntarily appointed himself as my supervisor. Eventually my dream came true within that moment to be came one of the Entrepreneurship (MBA) for the year 2011. I would like to whish all the candidates of this programme this year all the best in achieving their goals, I say this because this has been a long journey which tested us in so many way, so let’s work hard and produced quality work which will benefit this country…..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a “bittersweet” experience. Bitter in that I did not know what to expect and sweet in that I knew that it was just another challenge in my academic life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you masters students (Rangongo, Leah, Dumisani, Cheryl etc) are doing well with your research and we hope to lay hands on your research output. This article is an inspiration to some of us with its rich comments. It informs me to be well vested of what i chose as my research topic and thoroughly prepare myself way before the actual time. Really explaining your stance in front or research experts such as Prof. Slabbert is a lifetime experience which indeed sweet and tense at the same time but it all marks as a remarkable step in an academic life.

    Surely, I can't wait to meet the panel in a couple of years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The case of FUNCTIONALITY vs. CAPABILITY

Prof Jensen shares his disgust for poor results and the expectations of poor result holders